Working closely with Northamptonshire County Council we’ve considered various options to reduce the amount of traffic generated by Hampton Green and any associated impact on surrounding roads and junctions.
Our preferred solution is to:
- Create a new primary access to the site off Newport Pagnell Road via a new four-arm roundabout replacing the right turn lane provided by Morris Homes.
- Create a new access onto 'The Green' and downgrade a stretch of it to a footpath/cycleway.
- Make improvements to the Waitrose junction to improve turning movements. This will take the form of either signalisation of the junction or a controlled pedestrian crossing.
- Make financial contributions towards off-site improvements at nine junctions in the wider area.
Across the wider area we would create improved connections by bus, bike and on foot to link existing facilities, employment opportunities and Northampton town centre. There would be an emphasis on:
- Improved connections by public transport to Northampton town centre including extension of bus services to the development, creating a new route through the site using the primary access with ambition to connect through to the neighbouring HCA scheme;
- Provision of a new footpath/cycleway between the proposed roundabout access and Landimore Road; and
- Creation of pedestrian and cycle paths from Hampton Green to the HCA scheme and Brackmills Country Park.
The scheme we’ve developed also takes into consideration initiatives that would help further promote walking and cycling across the site. Considerations include:
- Providing direct, safe and secure routes for cyclists and pedestrians to public open spaces and creating connections with the existing network and between neighbouring developments.
- Internal road layouts to ensure low traffic speeds, promote safe walking and limit potential for anti-social behaviour
While work is in progress, subject to consent being granted, we will make every effort to ensure that disruption to local residents is kept to a minimum.
We would work with South Northamptonshire and Northampton Borough Councils to ensure reasonable hours of work to reduce the impact of construction traffic on local roads, especially at peak times.